Chef Sami’s Summer Picnic Recipes
In the July “Play with Your Food” column in BRAVA we took a look at the perfect picnic through the eyes of Sami Fgaier, owner of Le Personal Chef. Here are two of Chef Sami’s better recipes for outdoor dining enjoyment.
Kerkennah-style Shrimp, Fig and White Pearl Onion Skewers
(Makes 8 skewers)
½ lb. large shrimp (21/35 count)
8 black figs cut in half
1 bag of white pearl onions (blanched and individually peeled)
2/3 c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 garlic cloves minced
½ Tbsp. coarse sea salt
½ tsp. cracked black pepper
½ smoked Spanish paprika
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- In a large glass bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, sea salt, cracked black pepper and thyme. Mix thoroughly
- Add shrimp and pearl onions to mix, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Make skewers with shrimp, white pearl onions and fig. Make sure they are pushed well together so they can hold well on the grill.
- Grill 3-4 minutes per side
- Drizzle with honey lemon dressing, enjoy!
Honey Lemon Dressing:
1 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. honey
Juice of 2 lemons
½ tsp. white pepper
½ tsp. fine sea salt
- Whisk all ingredients very well until almost creamy in texture
Grilled Summer Salad
3 large tomatoes
1 red onion
2 Anaheim peppers
1 bulb of garlic
½ c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. coarse sea salt
Fresh Italian parsley
- Grill tomatoes, red onions, peppers and garlic for about 8 minutes on each side. Cooking time might be different for different vegetable.
- Remove vegetables from grill. Put aside in a bowl and cover right away with lid or aluminum foil to retain the heat. Covering the vegetables will also allow the skin to come off easily.
- Remove skin from onion, tomato and pepper. Pull out the garlic from the head of garlic. It should come out easy and should be soft like a spread.
- Cut all vegetable concassee (rough chop), add olive oil and sea salt.
- Put in fridge for about an hour to cool.
- Serve on a platter, garnish with sprigs of Italian flat leaf parsley.